9.26.2012

Been trying hard not to get in trouble, but I've got a war in my mind

Once in a while something comes along where you don't know what hit you, thats Lana Del Rey. She is a queen, a new vocal set for our generation. I know know, I saw the Saturday Night Live performance, but lets be fair and realistic. It was her first live performance and now that we know Lana a bit better we now know, thats just Lana. The twirling and the white dress, very Del Rey. But in all seriousness, I could listen to her for hours. Every track on Born to Die is worthy of more than a listen or two.


Some critics believe that Del Rey is just another music executives creation to bring in profit. While I see where they are coming from, I say no. Like Lady Gaga, Lana isn't just another manufactured thing, this delicate femme fatale has just found herself. 


There is a beauty about Del Rey that I cannot put my finger on. She's beautiful yes but its something not as obvious as that. She's tough and sweet, crass with class, a voice that can be slow like honey or light and flirtatious like that feeling you get in your stomach after a few cocktails. 


Maybe its the fact that when I listen to her new single Ride I feel like crying. I don't know why, it could be because her voice starts warm like a nostalgic hug from my mother. Maybe because the lyrics and the tone give me shivers, rising in a liberating fashion. You just want to sing along and float around the room with your eyes closed and pretend your in a scene shot by Sofia Coppola*

* That was me subtly suggesting that Sofia and Lana need to collaborate.

Needless to say, I am very excited for The Paradise Edition to be released.

1 comment:

  1. I love her...

    http://sinvenus.com/lana-del-ray/

    ReplyDelete

thankyou for your comment!